”Power strips” (as they are most commonly referred to) “Surge/Spike Protectors” or “Portable Outlets,” typically consist of several components, such as multiple electrical receptacles, on/off power switch, circuit breaker, and a grounded flexible power cord. Power strips range in appearance from plastic-coated heads to banks of plug-in outlets encased in large metal boxes, often accompanied by LED switches that indicate when the units are turned on. Some models include a push button that automatically trips if the strip becomes too hot for safe operation.”
Power strips are fine to use in moderation, and as long as you observe proper power strip safety. See some suggested safety tips below.
- Only use light load appliances on power strips such as computers, clocks, audio/video components and lamps.
- Make certain you buy power strips with an internal circuit breaker.
- Always have the cord straight while in use.
- Discard any cord with damaged wires or cracks.
- Use in well ventilated areas.
- Assure cord is properly insert into an outlet. They should not show any of the metal prongs.
- Do not staple or nail a power strip to something.
- Never continue use of a power strip that feels hot.
- One power strip should not be plugged into another.
- Use power strips cannot be used in potentially wet or moist areas. This may include kitchens, utility rooms and basements.
- Don’t run power strips frequently. They are not made to run for extended periods of time and could lead to overheating if used often.
- Never plug a space heater, microwave oven, refrigerator or other large appliance into a power strip.
- The flexible power cord should never be routed through windows, ceilings, floors, or similar openings.
THE BETTER SOLUTION
Many people make the error of using power strips too often. The simple solution? Install more outlets.
“You aren’t simply stuck with however many outlets are currently installed in your home. Additional outlets can provide a safe, dependable and long-term solution to your electricity needs! The process is quick and simple in the hands of a professional, and will have you set to handle all of our modern lifestyles.”
The experts at Price Electric can assist you with all of your electrical needs. We’ve been in the business over 20 years and the electricians are all well trained. Contact Price Electric today to schedule service or request a quote.